8.07.2010

X-Ray Photographer Hugh Turvey


In 1996, English artist Hugh Turvey started favoring x-rays as his medium. Prompted by a musician friend who asked him to make an album cover, Turvey made the above image, revealing his subject's biologically-based adoration of soccer/football/fútbol. With an eye for adding color and an experimental attitude, Turvey has since produced over 800 captivating pieces of x-ray art.


Hugh, 39, has been fascinated since childhood with getting underneath the surface of things. He said: “I’m driven by my curiosity. It’s about discovering the world around us. As a kid I would take things apart to see what was inside and how they worked. I have an insane curiosity for how things work. X-ray gives me a way to get that insight and turn it into art” [source]

A poster for a very successful three week exhibition in November, 2009 at the Oxo Gallery London

But my absolute favorite are his x-rayed flowers, of which there are many.



A colored x-ray of a lily



And one bonus [non-x-ray] one:


Turvey also employs the technique of stroboscopy to shoot fast motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment